Welcome to the Sailor Dress SewAlong
I am thrilled to be hosting a SewAlong over at Ellie and Mac – please join the event here. If you aren’t a member of the Ellie and Mac PDF Pattern Group you will need to join their group first! For this SewAlong we will be partnering with Knitpop (make sure you join their facebook group as well).
Have you ever participated in a SewAlong before?!
If you’re new to SewAlongs, here’s how it works:
5 Days prior to the LIVE SewAlong, I will post a daily task under the event over at Ellie and Mac. I will reply to any questions and comments regarding the SewAlong including pattern hacks and fabric choices. On Wednesday, June 28th on the Main Feed of Ellie and Mac’s PDF Pattern Group we will have the LIVE SewAlong. Guests that participate during the entire event will be entered to win.
Ready To Prepare For The SewAlong?!
The Sailor Dress by Ellie and Mac is a favorite and staple in my kids closet. I have made over 6 dresses….and I still have a few more to sew-up. One of my favorite things about this pattern is how quick it is to sew up and it is so versatile…more on that later! Don’t forget to purchase your pattern so you can sew with us!
Double Brushed Poly In Sleeveless….
Double Brushed Poly Throughout Sleeved Version…
Cotton Spandex Blend For Main Fabric, Lining, Sleeves, and Skirt; Double Brushed Poly for Center Panel
Don’t forget – the first thing that you will actually need is the pattern! Grab yours here and it is available in layers so you can avoid wasting paper and ink. Next you’ll need to pick out your fabric, here are a few great options:
- French Terry Spandex: As long as it has enough stretch it can be used! This can also be used for the skirt!
- Brushed Poly: Perfect to be used as either the bodice, skirt or all throughout
- Cotton Lycra: With great recovery you may need find this as a fitted dress and more snug – it is still perfect to use and will hold up extremely well.
- Rayon Spandex: Stretchy knit which is perfect for staying cool during hot and humid weather.
- Liverpool: Makes the for perfect twirling circle skirt. It can also be used for this dress if it has a 4-way stretch with great recovery.
- Knitpop has created a special BUNDLE too – grab yours here
Here are the fabric requirements by size:
Additional Items Needed:
- Needles – you can use either Jersey/Stretch if using a knit fabric.
- Wash Away Tape – Perfect for holding your hem on the circle skirt.
- Hem Measurer – Great for knowing your hem size prior to pinning/clipping in place.
- Sewing Machine or Serger